We are pleased to welcome you back underground!
We strongly recommend wearing a mask while visiting the site. Please visit our We’re Ready for You page to learn more about our safety measures related to COVID-19.
Wednesday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
*The admissions desk closes 30 minutes before the museum closes. Tickets cannot be purchased after this time.
*We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum to ensure there are still spots available.
Special Hours & Closures
- Closed on statutory holidays
- Currently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
- Closed Sunday, December 24, 2023
- Closed Monday, December 25, 2023
- Closed Tuesday, December 26, 2023
- Closed Monday, January 1, 2024
- Closed Tuesday, January 2, 2024
Given our location in rural West Ottawa, the museum occasionally closes due to inclement weather. Any closures will be posted on our website.
If you are looking to book using any of the passes, memberships, or special rates listed below, please contact our team by phone at 613-839-0007 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your booking.
Daily Guided Tour Times
Wednesday – Friday: 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m.
Additional Seasonal Tours 2023
- December 27, 28, and 29 at 1:00 p.m. (English) and 1:30 p.m. (French)
- December 30 and 31 at 10:30 a.m. (English) and 11:30 a.m. (French)
*Spots are limited to allow for physical distancing. We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum to ensure there are still spots available.
*Please arrive 5 to 10 minutes before the start of your guided tour in order to ensure adequate time for the check-in process. Tours are approximately 60 minutes long.
Enjoy our free Audio Guide
Navigate the site using our informative Audio Guide, available in nine languages. Access the Audio Guide and additional photos, videos, and archival materials on your phone using the Diefenbunker’s free Wi-Fi, or pick up a media player at the Welcome Desk.
If you plan on using your own device, don’t forget your headphones!
Take on a museum scavenger hunt
On weekends until December 16, pick up our family-friendly scavenger hunt sheet when you arrive, and sleuth your way through the bunker to find clues that will solve the mystery puzzle. Show your response to our staff to spin the prize wheel for a limited-time discount or giveaway!
The museum is mostly accessible.
A stair lift is available for use by wheelchair users, those with limited mobility, or anyone who is unable to use the stairs fully or partially. The lift cannot be used for strollers — the best way to get around underground is with a baby carrier.
Certified service animals trained to carry out tasks for persons with disabilities are allowed into the museum accompanied by their designated handler. Emotional support, companion, or therapy animals are not permitted.
Please note that it is pretty chilly in certain parts of the bunker. We recommend that you bring a sweater.
Find out more about accessibility at the Diefenbunker.
Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum
3929 chemin Carp Road, Ottawa, Ontario K0A 1L0
Please use caution when walking in the parking lot and walk ways when snow is present. Surfaces can become slippery when wet.
The Diefenbunker offers:
- Free on-site parking
- Designated spaces for school and tour buses
- Designated accessible parking spaces located near the main entrance
Directions from downtown Ottawa
- Take Highway 417 West to the Carp Road Exit, number 144
- Turn right (North) onto Carp Road
- Drive 8 to 10 minutes to the Village of Carp
- Continue straight through the Village (through the four-way stop) and past the Carp Fairgrounds until the village appears to come to an end
- On the left (West) side of the road you will see a large billboard sign for the Diefenbunker
- Turn left at this sign and continue down the driveway to find parking on your left
- The entrance to the Diefenbunker is through the gates
Public Transportation (Wednesdays only*)
*Please note that the 303 bus to the Village of Carp only operates on Wednesdays
- Take the 303 from Bayshore Station to Juanita/Snelgrove (41 stops)
- OR Take the 61 bus from Tunney’s Pasture to Hazeldean/Springbrook (36 stops), then take the 303 bus from Hazeldean/Springbrook to Juanita/Snelgrove (10 stops)
- OR Take the 74/75 bus from Tunney’s Pasture to Lincoln Fields (3 stops), then take the 303 bus from Lincoln Fields to Juanita/Snelgrove (43 stops)
- From the Juanita/Snelgrove stop, walk 750 m north along Carp Road (please use caution along this main road)
- Turn left at the large billboard sign for the Diefenbunker and continue down the driveway through the gates
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa West-Nepean
Limited-time offer for 2023: Family Getaway Package
Diefenbunker tickets for 2 adults and 2 children are included with your hotel stay!