We are pleased to welcome you back underground!
We strongly recommend wearing a mask while visiting the site. Please visit our We’re Ready for You page to learn more about our safety measures related to COVID-19.
Wednesday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
*For the best experience, we suggest at least one hour to explore the Diefenbunker. The admissions desk closes 30 minutes before the museum closes. Tickets cannot be purchased after this time.
*We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum to ensure there are still spots available.
Special Hours & Closures
- Closed on statutory holidays
- Currently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
- The Bank of Canada Vault will be closed from October 5 to October 13 while we install our 2022 Artist-in-Residence exhibition.
- Our Canada and the Cold War exhibition on the 400 Level will be closed until the end of 2022 for major upgrades. The new exhibition will open early in 2023. We apologize for any inconvenience. You can still view the old exhibition in our Virtual Tour.
Given our location in rural West Ottawa, the museum occasionally closes due to inclement weather. Any closures will be posted on our website.
If you are looking to book using any of the passes, memberships, or special rates listed below, please contact our team by phone at 613-839-0007 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your booking.
Daily Guided Tours
Weekdays: 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 1:30 p.m.
*Spots are limited to allow for physical distancing. We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum to ensure there are still spots available.
*Please arrive 5 to 10 minutes before the start of your guided tour in order to ensure adequate time for the check-in process. Tours are approximately 60 minutes long.
Access our *new* Audio Guide
Enjoy our free Audio Guide (audio only) through the links below, or additional visual content (audio + photos, videos) through the online Audio Guide App.
Download the Audio Guide to your device before you visit the museum, or access the content online during your visit with the museum’s free public Wi-Fi.
The museum is mostly accessible.
The elevator is available for use by people with limited mobility, with the assistance of a staff member. A stair lift is now available to access all storeys.
Our elevator is not available for strollers. The best way to get around underground is with a baby carrier.
Certified service animals trained to carry out tasks for persons with disabilities are allowed into the museum accompanied by their designated handler. Emotional support, companion, or therapy animals are not permitted.
Please note that it is pretty chilly in certain parts of the bunker. We recommend that you bring a sweater.
Find out more about accessibility at the Diefenbunker.
Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum
3929 chemin Carp Road, Ottawa, Ontario K0A 1L0
Please use caution when walking in the parking lot and walk ways when snow is present. Surfaces can become slippery when wet.
The Diefenbunker offers:
- Free on-site parking
- Designated spaces for school and tour buses
- Designated accessible parking spaces located near the main entrance
Directions from downtown Ottawa
- Take Highway 417 West to the Carp Road Exit, number 144
- Turn right (North) onto Carp Road
- Drive 8 to 10 minutes to the Village of Carp
- Continue straight through the Village (through the four-way stop) and past the Carp Fairgrounds until the village appears to come to an end
- On the left (West) side of the road you will see a large billboard sign for the Diefenbunker
- Turn left at this sign and continue down the driveway to find parking on your left
- The entrance to the Diefenbunker is through the gates
Public Transportation (Wednesdays only*)
*Please note that the 303 bus to the Village of Carp only operates on Wednesdays
- Take the 303 from Bayshore Station to Juanita/Snelgrove (41 stops)
- OR Take the 61 bus from Tunney’s Pasture to Hazeldean/Springbrook (36 stops), then take the 303 bus from Hazeldean/Springbrook to Juanita/Snelgrove (10 stops)
- OR Take the 74/75 bus from Tunney’s Pasture to Lincoln Fields (3 stops), then take the 303 bus from Lincoln Fields to Juanita/Snelgrove (43 stops)
- From the Juanita/Snelgrove stop, walk 750 m north along Carp Road (please use caution along this main road)
- Turn left at the large billboard sign for the Diefenbunker and continue down the driveway through the gates