When you’re ready, we’re ready for you.
To ensure the safety of you, your family, our staff, and volunteers, we’ve put extensive safety measures in place and introduced some new ways to experience the Diefenbunker.
Learn more below as you plan your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back underground! We thank you for your patience and continued support as we try to make this the best possible experience for you.
In accordance with the Government of Ontario guidelines, as of March 21, 2022, members of the public are no longer required to wear face masks or to show proof of vaccination to visit the Diefenbunker.
To ensure the safety and comfort of our visitors, staff, and volunteers, the museum continues to keep other health and safety measures in place, including physical distancing and increased cleaning. We strongly recommend wearing a mask while visiting the site.
Read more below to find out how we’re keeping you safe.
Hours & Tickets
Wednesday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
*For the best experience, we suggest at least one hour to explore the Diefenbunker. The admissions desk closes 30 minutes before the museum closes. Tickets cannot be purchased after this time.
*We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum to ensure there are still spots available.
Dates and hours are subject to change based on the recommendations from public health officials.
What we’re doing to keep you safe
The safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers is of the utmost importance to us. We continue to adapt our practices to reflect the recommendations of public health officials.
Health and safety measures
- Signage strongly recommends wearing a mask while visiting the site.
Encouraging online and card payments
- We highly recommend buying your tickets online in advance of your visit to the museum.
Facilitating physical distancing
- Our group tour size is limited to 15 visitors.
- Floor markers lead you in one direction through the museum and encourage physical distancing of 2m between individuals.
Providing sanitation stations throughout the museum
- We have increased the number of hand-sanitizing stations available.
Enhancing cleaning protocols
- Our staff regularly clean restrooms, exhibits, and high-touch surfaces.
- We run the fans in the museum daily, and regularly use professional cleaning services.
Your new museum experience
Enjoy the same unique underground experience, with a few changes as we continue to adapt in response to the recommendations of public health officials and try to make this the best possible experience for you.
- As usual, you will be able to explore the museum on your own if you wish. There is no time limit on your ticket, so you can arrive at any point on your ticket date and explore all day during the museum’s operational hours.
- We have an informative free Audio Guide that shares the history and stories of the Diefenbunker, available in nine languages. You can access audio and visual content (photos, videos, archival materials) through the online Audio Guide App, or you can listen to/download the audio only via Soundcloud. While there is now free Wi-Fi throughout the bunker, we encourage you to download the Audio Guide to your preferred device before your visit. Don’t forget your earbuds or headphones.
- We continue to offer group tours, with reduced capacities.
- Floor markers lead you in one direction through the museum.
- There are single-user, unisex, and accessible washrooms available on the 400 Level and 300 Level of the museum.
Group Tours, Spy Camp, Birthday Parties, Event Rentals, and Escape the Diefenbunker
Capacities and available dates for our programs are subject to change, based on recommendations from public health officials. Please consult the pages linked below for up-to-date information.
- Escape the Diefenbunker escape rooms are running. Please consult the Escape Manor booking site for up-to-date group capacities and policies.
- Group Tours are temporarily operating at reduced capacities.
- Spy Camp and Birthday Parties are back at the bunker, with some restrictions in place.
- Special events are temporarily on hold.
We thank you for your patience and continued support as we try to make this the best possible experience for you.
Support the Diefenbunker Museum
Your gift makes a difference.
While we have had to close our blast doors multiple times since 2020, we’ve been humbled and encouraged by the words of support and the financial contributions we’ve received from our community.
“Hoping the pandemic doesn’t bite into your bottom line too badly. Stay safe and take care.” – Diefenbunker donor
“I am happy to contribute to the excellent work of the Diefenbunker staff who continue to teach the lessons of the Cold War.” – Diefenbunker donor
Our museum was founded by a group of dedicated volunteers in our community, where we are strongly rooted. During this pandemic, we feel that sense of community even more. As a private, charitable museum, we have worked hard to keep our 2020 momentum and successes going, despite the current challenges. With your gift, we are carrying out our mission, as Canada’s most unique learning environment for present and future generations to gain a better understanding of the Cold War.
Any donation that you are able to give makes a difference — and is appreciated.
Please donate today.
This page was last updated on August 15, 2022 and will continue to be updated as new information becomes available.