The Diefenbunker is one of the most unique educational sites in Canada. Come visit the museum with your class or school tour group and let participants experience the complexities of the Cold War first-hand.
Tours of the Diefenbunker allow students to immerse themselves in the Cold War and experience Canadian history from a perspective unlike any other. The Diefenbunker offers curriculum programs with links to social studies, language arts, science, mathematics, and visual arts.
Design your own field trip
Our programming is flexible to allow you and your class to get the most out of your field trip to the museum.
75 – 90 minute programs
Start your visit with a tour of the building, tailored for your group, followed by a short 15-30 minute workshop. Choose from one of the following:
- Tour + Rex Zero Workshop (Grades 3-6)
- What’s a Cold War?
- Strong and Stable Structures
- Tour + Continuity of Government Workshop (Grades 9-12)
- Tour + Emergency Preparedness Workshop (Grades 9-12)
- Tour + Daily Life in the Diefenbunker (Grades 7-12)
Half-day and full-day programs (120 – 240 minute programs)
Start your visit with a tour of the building, tailored for your group, followed by one or two 60-75 minute programs. Choose from the following:
- Emergency Preparedness (Gr. 4-8)
- Art and Peacebuilding (Gr. 4-8)
- Morse Code and Communications (Gr. 4-5)
- The Bunker as a Habitat (Gr. 4)
- Functions of Government (Gr. 5)
- Emergency Government (Gr. 5-11)
- Electricity and Communications (Gr. 6)
- Systems and the Bunker (Gr. 8)
- The Berlin Wall (Gr. 8-12)
- The Vietnam War (Gr. 10-12)
- NATO (Gr. 11-12)
- Communism (Gr. 11-12)
To reserve, please fill out our Reservation Request Form.
For more information on curriculum links, teacher resources, and a teacher checklist, see Resources for Educators.
The museum is open year-round, excluding select holidays. Tours are offered daily Monday to Sunday from 9:00am to 4:00pm (special requests can be accommodated after 4:00pm). Tours are offered in English or French (with advance notice) and can be schedule for 60 or 90 minutes. Please book at least two weeks prior as space is limited.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613 839 0007 x 274.